Disert is in the foothills of the Bluestack Mountains, just off the long-distance walking route – The Bluestack Way. it is approximately 10km as the crow flies from Donegal Town, Co. Donegal, Ireland.
The site is on private land and access is at your own risk. Beware of livestock and do not bring dogs. Leave all road gates as you find them. Please close all pedestrian gates. Please park considerately.
Directions from Donegal Town:
- From the Millpark Hotel roundabout take the exit for Letterbarrow.
- Travel approximately 4km until the road finishes at a T-junction – turn right.
- Take the first left, passing O’Neill’s Bar, then the Bluestack Centre and Hostel and then the church (This is Letterbarrow and Drimarone).
- Just after the church the road forks in a Y – take the right-hand fork.
- After a couple of hundred metres there is a turning to the right, but you should ignore this and carry on.
- After a few hundred metres the road forks in a Y again – again take the right-hand fork.
- Keep going along here for about 4km passing rough ground and a forest until you get to Tymeen Club House and football field. The road beyond this point is not suitable for large vehicles (e.g. minibuses etc) so these should park on the roadside at this point and visitors should walk from there. Please park considerately.
- Turn left at the football field.
- Take the second turn on the right – there is a gate on this turn, but it is usually open. There is a signpost here for ‘Disert Graveyard’
- Park at the small quarry and walk another few metres to the access gate and signpost. Please park considerately.
- The graveyard and well are approximately 200m across fields.
Note that after point “8” above, Google maps brings you down the first turning to the right, and you will end up on an untarmaced track, so ignore this and continue to the second turning on the right as directed above.